Your HealthEvery two minutes someone in the UK is diagnosed with cancer. More than 1 in 3 of us will develop cancer in some form during our lifetime. But how do you cope if it happens to you?

Stuart Danskin is the senior cancer information nurse at Macmillan Cancer Support:

''We’re a charity that provides information and can help prepare people before they see a consultant.

It’s important to remember that people with cancer have two main needs: physical and emotional. It's with emotional care that the voluntary sector can really make a difference.''

''We can help the families of people suffering from cancer,” Danskin says. “We realise that it’s not just the patient but the whole family that can be affected. They may not know as much about the illness as the patient in their family, or they may be worried about the care of the family that will fall to the next of kin. We help support families with information and guidance. The change in someone’s immediate relationships can be huge. The husband and wife relationship, for example, can be really different. Cancer is our job, we know all about it and exactly what help you can get and where you can get support from.

Many people find that having a network of friends, family and support services helps them to cope with the impact of a cancer diagnosis.

Cancer Support Services in Coventry








If you’re affected by cancer, why not telephone or drop-in to the Macmillan Information and Support Centre where you can obtain free high quality information and support in confidence. We offer one-to-one support on all aspects of living with cancer and can signpost you to complementary therapies, counselling, benefits advice and self-help and support. Find us in the main entrance of the hospital.

Other Useful Contacts for Cancer Support

Many people find it easier to talk to someone over the phone. There are a number of helplines, mostly run by charities, including:

A support group may suit you if you’d like to discuss your experience with other people who’ve been diagnosed with cancer. Your GP or specialist doctor or nurse will be able to put you in touch with suitable local groups.